Wine/ Procecco or Cava Suggestions - Inexpensive, Best Buy

Looking for an inexpensive but good red, chardonney & cava or prosecco wine for a cocktail party buffet. Cost plays a big part, so looking for something widely avilable (New York) but tasty to complement a heavy hors doerve engagement party. There will be a full bar but need recommendations; buying in about 4 hours for 70 adults. For cava (toast) I was thinking of Julama Crystalino, Red - Sangloveses Di Majo Norante, Savignon Blanc - Cupcake (because the grooms who are not drinkers will LOVE the label) Thanks.

asked by sexyLAMBCHOPx almost 2 years ago

Mionetto has a really nice procecco not too dry and not too sweet and the price point is really good

Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

I second Mionetto for the prosecco, or Lunetta, and Ciacci Piccolomini makes a solid Sangiovese that's really reasonably priced.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

My wine guy says some of the California sparkling wines are better than French. Can't remember name of what I bought last. That red is my go-to catering wine - everyone loves it. that cupcake sauvignon blanc is my fave. if you end up with leftover, I'll buy it from you!
Is the party tonight?? Congrats to the grooms!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

The party ( 1 of 2 ) is Saturday night and party two the following Sat night (100 people). I will order the Mionetto for the proscecco and the cupcake for savignon blanc. Will inquire about the red (Lunetta and Ciaaci Piccolomini), but what about a chardonnay? Thank you!

Photo

Prosecco: If your Trader Joe's sells wine (I 'm not sure if they all do) you should try Zonin prosecco. It's Italian and was recommended to me by a Rome native who is picky about bubbly (among other things!) Clean and crisp, and best of all it's only $7 or $8 a bottle.
I have not seen it anywhere else but TJs so I suspect it's bottled just for them.

I have tried that recently for a Bridal Shower but I found it very thin and a bit sour. I did read it reccommended somewhere recently but can't remember where. I wish I could name what we ended up with but it is too short notice by the OP to advise, and can't remember offhand. It is a bit on the sweet side for a Brut, but has a rich mouthfeel and generous bubbles. And the price is right, by the case only. Was recommended by a local shop who sells it mainly to restaurants.

P1291120

In our area, Trader Joe's has a Cristallino bubbly (not honestly sure if it is a champagne or procescco) that is really nice around $8 bottle.

It's just sparkling not technically cava or prosecco but the Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs shows up around this house more than I would like to admit, $16, same with its Chandon counterpart. You have probably already purchased but for down and dirty inexpensive sparkling I normally go with the Veuve de Vernay Rose about $8. As for the red I typically head for Spain or Latin America as well for an inexpensive full bodied wine. I like the Juan Gil, about $12 and an Albarino Rias Biaxs for the white, about $9.

La Marca is a fantastic prosecco. It usually ranges in the $13 - $15 per bottle range but could possibly be cheaper if purchased by the case.

Junechamp

Trader Joe's has a sparkling wine under their own name that is REALLY tasty and only $5.95 a bottle! Our "house sparkling" is Gruet made by a French family in New Mexico that I buy online from winelibrary.com for about $12 a bottle. Tastes like SO much more $$. ;)