🔎

• 5

• 677

A question about a recipe: Anya von Bremzen's Potato Soup with Fried Almonds

I have a question about the recipe "Anya von Bremzen's Potato Soup with Fried Almonds" from Genius Recipes. Hi. Can I use almonds slivers instead of whole almonds for this recipe? Thanks.

8080937696_9a4746bf30_z
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

The slivers may get too burned. If you have no choice but to use slivers instead of whole almonds, watch them very carefully because they will brown much faster

Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

I agree with Monita -- it's a fine substitute if you toast them carefully. You should also go scant on the measurement, since the slivered ones are smaller and pack tighter in the cup. Hope you like it!

chef lew added over 1 year ago

Thanks to you both. I was trying to avoid a trip to the store, but alas...

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Use the slivered almonds - just toast for a shorter period of time, perhaps adding to the garlic 2 minutes in. As for measurement, it also strikes me as the type of recipe where if you have a few too many (or too few) the difference will be so slight that it's not going to matter. It'll be fine.

chef lew added over 1 year ago

Like this answer because I can stay home instead of buying almonds. Thank you.