🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Anya von Bremzen's Potato Soup with Fried Almonds

8080937696_9a4746bf30_z

I have a question about the recipe "Anya von Bremzen's Potato Soup with Fried Almonds" from Genius Recipes. Hi. Can I use almonds slivers instead of whole almonds for this recipe? Thanks.

asked by chef lew about 2 years ago
Monita_photo

The slivers may get too burned. If you have no choice but to use slivers instead of whole almonds, watch them very carefully because they will brown much faster

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

I agree with Monita -- it's a fine substitute if you toast them carefully. You should also go scant on the measurement, since the slivered ones are smaller and pack tighter in the cup. Hope you like it!

Thanks to you both. I was trying to avoid a trip to the store, but alas...

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Use the slivered almonds - just toast for a shorter period of time, perhaps adding to the garlic 2 minutes in. As for measurement, it also strikes me as the type of recipe where if you have a few too many (or too few) the difference will be so slight that it's not going to matter. It'll be fine.

Like this answer because I can stay home instead of buying almonds. Thank you.