🔎

• 5

• 490

• See other questions tagged:
    • herbs

Herbs

What is the shelf life of fresh herbs such as Rosemary and Thyme chopped and sealed with Olive oil? Also does dried garlic have a shelf life in olive oil if it is sealed?

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

If you are making a herb-infused olive oil, I'd recommend using whole sprigs. In a sealed jar it will stay fresh for up to a week. Bring it to room temp before using it.

Chopped herbs may turn black quickkly

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

Just like with wine, light and oxygen are enemies to freshly dried herbs. Consider vacuum packing and only keeping an amount for a couple months in a tight jar in a dark area.
I recently bought $$$ of spices and the folks suggested by vacuum packing the life will extend to up to 4 years! I think 2 is more realistic.
I've not oil packed as I prefer to use dry.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

The mention of herbs and oil makes me cringe. Under refrigeration, fine for a few days, but botulism is a danger in the anaerobic conditions created by the oil. Commercial preparations are acidified to prevent the problem.

Chris_in_oslo

Food-borne botulism is thankfully rare, but home garlic-in-oil concoctions have been the source of a couple of outbreaks. Not worth it.

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

Let me add my voice and concerns to ChefOno and Greenstuff. Not worth it. Dry the herbs instead (simple: hang upside down in a dry, dark place until dried out); keep the garlic head together -- pulling off cloves as needed -- in a cool, dark place and they'll last several weeks if not months. Skip the whole olive oil idea.