🔎

Can I substitute Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour in a banana bread recipe?

I'm making a banana bread recipe that calls for whole wheat pastry flour. Can I substitute Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free all-purpose flour cup for cup? Or will it change the texture?

Juliettefyb
Steph

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

You can try the substitute. It may change the texture and taste slightly (whole wheat flour tends to be nuttier), but should still work. I haven't worked much with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour. Does anyone have any tips on making sure it produces a tender cake?

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Sometimes more liquid is required for GF flour than wheat flours. I would look for a GF banana bread recipe at least as a reference for ratios of liquid to flour and maybe increase the liquid a little, or follow a GF recipe that has favorable reviews. Good luck!

Scan0004
susan g added over 1 year ago

Here's a link to the 'Bob's' recipe, using their AP GF blend. Compare with the recipe you have for guidelines. There's another recipe on the Bob's site, using single flours blended together.
http://www.yummly.com/recipe...