A question about a recipe: Roasted Carrot Harissa and Crème Fraiche Crostini

Food52_12-13-11-2748

I have a question about the ingredient "dried Anaheim or California chilies, stemmed, seeded" on the recipe "Roasted Carrot Harissa and Crème Fraiche Crostini " from gingerroot. Do the california chilies have to be dried or can they be fresh. All I could find was fresh.

asked by Joshua Weissm almost 2 years ago

From looking at the recipe, I imagine you'd want dried ones if you can get them. The flavor will be quite different if they are fresh. However, I bet it would be tasty -- just different -- with fresh chilies. You would skip all of the soaking steps in that case, and I imagine you'd want to add them bit by bit, tasting as you go, to make sure you don't make the whole thing too spicy.

Alternatively, you could dry the chilies you bought and use them in a few days/week when they finally dry out!

Waffle3

Huge difference between fresh and dried chiles. Not so much between dried Anaheim / New Mexico / California and ancho chiles which you should be able to find just about anywhere (except you might want to use fewer anchos since they're heavier). You could also sub guajillos.

Per ChefOno's advice you can substitute other dried chiles, and I'd add poblano to the list. The thing to be careful about is the heat (measured in Scoville units) which you can sometimes find on the label. If the country of origin is Peru the odds are that they are smokin' hot.

Hi! I agree with Quinciferous - the flavor (and color) would be different with fresh chiles. I've never made this using fresh chiles, as the dried ones impart a lovely smoky flavor to the harissa. If I only had fresh chiles I'd roast them under the broiler first and peel off the skin before adding to the harissa. I'm curious to know how it turns out if you try this with fresh ones.