🔔
🔎

Soaking puy lentils for Lentil and Sausage soup?

I want to make this ( http://www.food52.com/recipes... ) recipe for tonight, I went out and bought some puy lentils. I prefer a thin soup to a thick stew so I figured I'd soak the lentils first to help combat that. I've never actually cooked with lentils, before though and now everything I read on google specifically says not to soak lentils - or that you don't need to.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

asked by darksideofthespoon about 2 years ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

I've made this soup plenty of times, and I never soak them! Simply cook them right in your broth until they're tender, and you're done. They won't thicken your soup too much, either -- mine always comes out nice and brothy.

That's great to know! Sadly I already soaked them. :P I suppose I just won't have to cook them as long?

Monita_photo

Lentils just need to be rinsed not soaked. If you find the soup is too thick for your liking you can always add a little liquid at the end to get it to the consistency you want

Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Yes, just decrease your cooking time slightly -- they'll cook much faster. Tasting is the absolute best way in the book to check for doneness.

I ended up soaking the puy lentils for about a total of 4 hours, simmered them in a separate pot until I liked the texture, drained and added them to the soup with more stock to cover. The soup turned out AMAZING! Very brothy - I'm a huge fan. Will be making this plenty throughout the winter months!