🔔
🔎

Fix for lumpy frosting?

I'm making a cream cheese frosting, and blended the butter and cream cheese together, and feeling lazy, did not sift the powdered sugar before dumping the first cup in, and now my frosting is lumpy. Any fixes? Should I bother sifting the remaining powdered sugar or chalk it up to lost cause and embrace the lumps?

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

asked about 2 years ago
Pict1821

Thank you!

I often feel lazy -- and don't sift the confectioners' sugar. Beating well (I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer) takes care of the lumps -- given time and patience. It's also important to have the butter and cream cheese at room temperature. No need to embrace the lumps.

Noz_photo

You could also try using an immersion blender (!) to whizz out the lumps, as long as the frosting is in a tall/skinny container.

Flower-bee

I would advise against using a blender, that will render your frosting too runny and you will not be able to reverse that, no matter what.