🔎

Fix for lumpy frosting?

I'm making a cream cheese frosting, and blended the butter and cream cheese together, and feeling lazy, did not sift the powdered sugar before dumping the first cup in, and now my frosting is lumpy. Any fixes? Should I bother sifting the remaining powdered sugar or chalk it up to lost cause and embrace the lumps?

Pict1821
Gator_cake

Voted the Best Answer!

Sift your remaining powdered sugar. Scrape the lumpy mixture through a strainer (the largest grid size you have) to get most if not all of the lumps out, then add in the sifted powdered sugar. I assume since you haven't added all the sugar the frosting will push through the strainer pretty easily.

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Thank you!

louisez added over 1 year ago

I often feel lazy -- and don't sift the confectioners' sugar. Beating well (I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer) takes care of the lumps -- given time and patience. It's also important to have the butter and cream cheese at room temperature. No need to embrace the lumps.

Noz_photo
nzle added over 1 year ago

You could also try using an immersion blender (!) to whizz out the lumps, as long as the frosting is in a tall/skinny container.

Flower-bee
Droplet added over 1 year ago

I would advise against using a blender, that will render your frosting too runny and you will not be able to reverse that, no matter what.