🔎

• 9

• 640

Which sized pots & pans make for a perfect kitchen?

I'm newly married, so am perfecting my kitchen with my wedding registry. What is the ideal list of pots & pans that a kitchen should have?

Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

Great question! Check out this post from our series, FIrst Kitchen: http://www.food52.com/blog..., but I'd generally recommend a range of sizes -- you want a frying pan, a small saucepan, and a larger one/stockpot for boiling pasta and the like at the very least. Oh, and congrats!

Scan0004
susan g added over 1 year ago

Are you cooking for two, entertaining for 20? Really cooking or relying on take out? How much room do you have for keeping pots and pans? In Early Marriage, I acquired most of my non-basics as the need arose -- make a pie? Need pie plate, rolling pin.... And get good mixing bowls, especially some that are multi-use -- there's another article from Brette on bowls. The whole series is informative, with lots of comments reflecting lots of experience.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added over 1 year ago

As susan g said, depends on the quantities you'll be cooking. I would also ask, will you be entertaining? Do you like to have a lot of people to dinner or a few? Do you like specialty/ethnic cooking (tagines? Paella pans?) or do you want basics? It might be useful to add a good-sized pressure-cooker, Dutch Oven, roaster for Thanksgiving turkey, large stockpot.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

All-Clad 3qt or bigger saute pan. I wasnt cooking much when engaged but so glad to get my All clad pieces and 8 years later have graduated to cooking for the two of us, family parties, dinner parties and potlucks. I love my slow cooker and grill pan.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

Le Crueset Dutch Oven (5 qt.) I'm assuming you have an interest in cooking for just knowing to post on this site - so think new to cooking or not the basics pots & pans to cook for 2 or 12. You'll be glad to have them.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

Hi, just received this email from Crate & Barrel, maybe it will help you for choosing some essentials. http://bl172w.blu172.mail...

WannabeBaker added over 1 year ago

A Dutch oven!!! I don't use mine a lot, but when I do, I'm so thankful I have it. And it's very versatile. I use it to make soups, to make no-knead bread, to deep fry, etc. And any recipe that calls for a dish to be cooked both in the oven and stove top - it's great for that. You can find decent ones for a good price at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. My most used pots include a large non-stick skillet (I have a 12-incher, but you'd probably be fine with a 10-inch), a 6-8qt pot for making pastas and soups, and a medium saucepan. A small saucepan is good if you like to make desserts and sauces, but otherwise I rarely use mine. The small skillet that came with my set has basically been a waste. Getting some cast iron pans is good, too. There are things you can do with it you can't do with nonstick. Just learn how to take care of it.

ChezHenry added over 1 year ago

My cast iron skillet is the one pan I couldn't live without. Searing, shallow frying, fried eggs-it rarely leaves my stove top.
The best advice I can give is to make sure all of your pots and pans can go from the stovetop into your oven. This is essential for many cooking techniques, the least of which is keeping items warm as you complete a meal.

ChezHenry added over 1 year ago