🔎

Buttercream Frosting too sweet

I had prepared a cake and the buttercream frosting is too sweet,I would like to make it little less sweet, is there way I can do this. If I whip up some eggwhites and fold them in will that be alright. Please help.

Dsc_3321
Steph

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

Adding meringue make make it too soft. You can beat in more soft butter or some cream cheese to help lower the sweetness level. This should increase the amount of frosting you have and decrease the concentration of sugar, but will still keep the buttercream consistency.

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

You could also try adding a flavored extract to offset the sweetness

ATG117 added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

I vote for cream cheese. I tend to like my "butter cream" frosting with a touch of cream cheese anyway. I think it always makes for a better frosting.

Stringio
Dona added over 1 year ago

You can add a little lemon juice.

Dsc_3321
PistachioDoughnut added over 1 year ago

Okay folks, I didn't really wish to add cream cheese but guess what I finally added cream cheese. It was good not too crazy sweet. The actual recipe called for veg shortening, which I was not keen to use. Do you all like vegetable shortening in frosting..yay or nay..

Dsc_3321
PistachioDoughnut added over 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestions..

Avatar
RedDog added over 1 year ago

I usually add a dash or two of salt.