🔎

Salted Almonds - how to keep them salted.

I've been making your recipe for salted almonds with a bit of sugar to great acclaim having adjusted the amount of oil. Only problem is that the salt sugar end up at the bottom of the bowl or jar rather than on the almonds. Seems like a physics & chemistry problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Are you letting them cool completely before putting them in a bowl? That could help

Arrxx added over 1 year ago

Yes I do let them cool.

Monita_photo

Have you reduced the mount of oil from the original recipe? Maybe less oil is making it less adherent

Arrxx added over 1 year ago

That's possible. But the original amount was clearly too much. From all of the comments on the site it appears that others found the original amount made for puddles of oil and the nuts were too greasy.

Monita_photo

Try somewhere in between the original amount and what you cut it back to - see if it makes a difference.

Arrxx added over 1 year ago

Thanks for your suggestions!

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Try tossing the almonds in some beaten egg white, coat with the salt/sugar mix, then pop in the oven to roast, cool, then jar them.

Arrxx added over 1 year ago

That is an excellent idea. Dorie Greenspan has a recipe for "Sweet and spicy cocktail nuts" in which she tosses the nuts in beaten egg white to which she adds the spices. I will try that technique. It sounds like the egg white acts like a glue for the spices. But then you probably wouldn't need the oil. Dorie doesn't use any. Hmmmm. Thanks again!

Arrxx added over 1 year ago

Using 1 beaten egg white per 2 cups almond definitely does the trick. No oil needed. The egg white forms a kind of glue that allows the salt and sugar to adhere to the nuts. I added some other spices to the salt & sugar like smoked paprika. Easy and a wow for guest. "You made these