🔎

• 13

• 8295

I just bought a bottle of truffle oil....now what do I do with it?

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Voted the Best Answer!

Firstly keep it in a dark space, better yet the fridge. That stuff goes rancid and the clear glass doesn't help.

It's great for drizzling on things like pasta, risotto, soups & stews, etc. Pairs well with mushrooms, chicken, cheese (grilled cheese? oh yes)...all kinds of things.

Also, don't cook with it - leave that to your olive or vegetable oil. Just use it to finish a dish. A little goes a long ways too.

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

What else can I say...Sarah covered pretty much all the bases.Thanks for the laugh.I needed that!

adamavail added over 1 year ago

Adding some truffle oil to melted butter and then tossing popcorn in it will give you somewhat surprising but very nice adult snacks to go with drinks.

Truffle oil can also be nicely paired with honey and gruyere cheese.

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 1 year ago

Drizzle over roasted potatoes ....like truffle fries!

I agree with all of Sarah's points. Terrific on risotto, polenta, pappardelle, and will seriously brighten up ordinary sauteed champignon mushrooms. For it to be successful the food it's used with almost always needs to be hot. And yes, it does have a short shelf life.

ChezHenry added over 1 year ago

Give it to someone as a gift :). I find it to be overrated, cloying and prone to excessive use. Real truffles are so far removed from this product it should have another name imho.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added over 1 year ago

ChezHenry, cannot agree more.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added over 1 year ago

In my experience, it has a weird metallic taste.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Yup, the question would be is it 'real tuffle oil'...something called "truffle oil" which can be a synthetic product sold as 'tuffle oil'. <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dining/16truf.html?pagewanted=all" target="_blank">http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dining/16truf.html?pagewanted=all</a> These fine points aren't quite subject to labeling laws. You can find 'soy sauce' (and I'm looking at you Chung King from my child hood that made me hate Asian food)...isn't soy sauce but a chemically mixed concoction that has soy beans way down the list...just the husks toasted etc..and tastes metallic also.

Dea Henrich added over 1 year ago

One of my favorite uses for truffle oil is for sous vide poached eggs to top steamed asparagus. Tear off a piece of a BPA-free plastic wrap without plasticizers (like Saran Wrap). Brush it with truffle oil. Sprinkle fresh herbs on top. Place the plastic wrap in a ramekin (oil side up), and crack the egg into the ramekin. Tie the wrap around the egg to form a little bundle and lower into simmering water. This makes the tastiest, creamiest poached egg that I have ever eaten. Not only is it marvelous on steamed asparagus, it's also great on top of a green salad.

I also use truffle oil in a black and white bean salad. Use equal parts black and white beans (about 2 C of each cooked bean). Then I add finely diced colored peppers, shallots, fresh thyme, and really good fresh tomatoes (garden in season or grape tomatoes) diced small.) Top with good cracked pepper, salt, and white whine vinegar. Let sit for at least two hours. Before serving, drizzle with truffle oil and toss.

daRosario Organics added over 1 year ago

May I know what is the brand?

Truffle products in the market today use synthetic chemical flavorings 2,4 dithiapentane bis-sulfate http://www.nytimes.com...

After 9 years of research and development, Rosario Safina and Dr. Sandro Silveri have come up with the only method today that is USDA 100% Certified Organic.

daRosario USDA 100% Organic White Truffle Oil
- is made with real organic Italian white truffle pieces and real white truffle flavor. Use it to add high-end flavor to basics like grilled cheese, pot pies, mashed potatoes, roast chicken, scrambled eggs, salad dressing, popcorn and french fries.

daRosario USDA 100% Organic Black Truffle Oil
- is made with real organic black winter truffle pieces and real black winter truffle flavor. It is a delicious finish on grilled fish, lobster, crab, scallops, and simple dishes like roast chicken and scrambled eggs. Great in salads with mushrooms, green vegetables, white meat fish, eggs or potatoes.

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added over 1 year ago

Whatever you do, just be careful not to use too much of it. It can easily drown out the flavors of anything you add it to.

Mstar added 1 day ago

I am quite disappointed. I now live in the Philippines but from the States. I bought a bottle of White Truffle Oil under the brand of La Tourangelle. I have been cooking for 30 years. It is is a metal container but you know what the taste reminds me of? "Plastic". I notice they no longer carry the product but the expiry date is over 30 days from now. It was on sale. Just be careful if you see this product.