🔎

Pomegranate overload

Any ideas for creative ways to use a bunch of pomegranate seeds? I already sprinkle them in salads and cereal/oatmeal, but wonder if there are grand possibilities I am not thinking of. I have about 3 1/2 c. in my fridge right now.

Maedl added over 1 year ago

I have a jar of pomegranate seeds in vinegar on my counter at the moment. I used the seeds of one pomegranate, a liter of organic apple cider vinegar, and a quarter- to a half-cup of sugar. I put it all in a sterilized container and covered with a tightly-fitting lid. I’ll give it a shake once in a while and will let it sit for about two weeks. Then I take out the seeds and pour the vinegar back into its bottle. Tomorrow I am going to try another batch using cranberries, pear and ginger.

chez_mere added over 1 year ago

I like that. Do you think it would work with the red wine vinegar I have in my cupboard. Do you like to use the vinegar for dressings or any other particular uses? Do you like the pickled seeds?

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

They work well in a poultry stuffing - particularly a rice one - and/or pan sauce.

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can use them if you're making a roast or a brisket. They add a nice flavor to the braise.

Maedl added over 1 year ago

Pomegranate is lovely on brisket--the NY Times website should have a recipe for it.

sayatexplores added over 1 year ago

There is a parsley salad that I've been craving for a little while now that uses pomegranates and pom-molasses. It's a tart salad with a lot of parsley, coarse cracked wheat (bulgur), chopped walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. This is a salad that is commonly served at sea food restaurants in Istanbul. I do not know the name but the textural contrast I would look for would combine 1/2 c of packed chopped parsley, one tbsp of fine chopped walnuts, 1/2 c of cooked bulgur, and two tbsp of pomegranate seeds.

I think this combination (without the bulgur) can be diluted with olive oil, vinegar and sugar into a chimichurri / agridulce / chutney depending on what part of the world you want to go with it.

I also think that it makes an excellent garnish on tatzikis / rayetas, stuffed poblanos, tabbouleh, babaganoushes, panzanellas, fattoushes...

You can also dry them and use them in curries instead or in addition to the tart flavor of tamarind.

A roasted beat and arugula salad with goat cheese is what I'm making tonight topped with pomegranate seeds is what I'm making tonight for dinner!

Esther Heimberg added over 1 year ago

Stick them in gin and let them sit for a while!

The Spiced Life added over 1 year ago

I would garnish almost any Indian or even Middle Eastern dish with them.

ChezHenry added over 1 year ago

Juice them. Make a Pomegranate Margarita: 1 part pom juice, 1 part fresh lime juice, 1/2 part Grand Marnier, 2 parts tequila. Fill shaker with ice and shake til it hurts. Serve.

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

The solution is ... a martini !
One part vodka, one part pomegranate juice, a bit of Cointreau, half a dozen (or more) pomegranate seeds, a squeeze of lime.
Repeat.

Trade secret is to de-seed the Pom in a bowl of cold water. The pith floats and easy to pull out. Put the seeds on a paper towel, in a ziplock container, and use for a week or two.

Or, Put in your juicer with some OJ like they do in Turkey... enjoy.