🔎

• 10

• 588

A question about a recipe: Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto

I have a question about the ingredient "+ 2 tablespoons ricotta salata, crumbled or chopped until a medium fine crumble" on the recipe "Caramelized Butternut Squash Wedges with a Sage Hazelnut Pesto" from melissav. is ricotta salata the same as ricotta cheese?

110210f_454
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Ricotta salata is more like feta cheese in texture. It's not the same as ricotta cheeses

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Would it be the same as Mexican Crumbling cheese? Queso fresco. Which has a feta like texture but only a slightly salty mild taste. It's very widely available here.

Monita_photo

Ricotta salata is saltier than Queso fresco but it is a similar texture

Moi_1
QueenSashy added over 1 year ago

Wikipedia explains the difference between ricotta and ricotta salata very nicely: In addition to its fresh, soft form, ricotta is also sold in three preparations which ensure a longer shelf life: salted, baked and smoked. The pressed, salted, dried, and aged variety of the cheese is known as ricotta salata, is milky-white and firm, and used for grating or shaving. Ricotta salata is sold in wheels, decorated by a delicate basket-weave pattern

In Italian "ricotta" means "recooked" and "salata" means "salted". It's a cheese made from yesterday's whey which is skimmed and strained into rush baskets (hence the pattern on the outside). Salted, it is "aged" for 15 to 30 days. Depending on the region it can be made from cow's, ewe's or goat's milk.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_
sexyLAMBCHOPx added over 1 year ago

The two are not interchangeable though in terms of cooking/recipes, correct?

Moi_1
QueenSashy added over 1 year ago

No, they are not interchangeable.

nutcakes added over 1 year ago

No don't sub in ricotta, you are better off using feta. I think blue cheese would me nice with this recipe too.

Ophelia added over 1 year ago

Mizithra is a fairly good substitute if you have trouble finding ricotta salata.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added over 1 year ago

I think that Sam1148's suggestion to use queso fresco is a good one.