OUR NEWEST BOOKS, VEGAN AND BAKING, ARE AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER! RESERVE YOURS »

What would u do with black barley? I had it with wild rice, any more suggestions? On it's OWN? Would that be gross?

asked by Julie,Cook almost 3 years ago
23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04--avatar

You could cook and chill it and mix with diced raw veggies and a little Italian dressin for a nice salad

0ba42eb7-84d3-4477-a574-5c31feb8ed9e--jc_profilepic

I never heard of black barley so I just looked it up. It is called "hull-less" but from what I read it is very different - chewier - than the pearled or hulled barley we commonly find in soups, etc. So I would guess you could use it the way you would cooked farro or wheat berries or other chewy while grain. I would not use it in a barley risotto (which was my initial thought). To answer your question about eating it on its own, I think it would be very bland. You could make a pilaf by cooking it in beef, chicken or vegetable stock, then adding sautéed onions and anything else yummy like bacon, sautéed mushrooms (or other vegetables), nuts, etc. adding a less chewy grain like rice would probably help. Also I saw this webpage with recipes for black barley: http://www.stahlbush.com...

B3038408-42c1-4c18-b002-8441bee13ed3--new_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Delicious cooked with brown basmati rice. I bet it would also work really well in a salad or side dish made with black or red quinoa (or a plain quinoa, for that matter). ;o)