🔎

Making steamed vegetables varied and interesting

Looking for lots of novel ways to make steamed vegetables more interesting without adding more than a few calories. I have a friend on a draconian diet. Your favorites?

Chris_in_oslo
Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

You could add wine, herbs, or other aromatics to the liquid (or the vegetables). My aunt taught me to steam thin carrot sticks under a blanket of sliced basil -- it's lovely.

Quinciferous added over 1 year ago

Cider vinegar, garlic, and chile flakes with steamed sweet potatoes/other sweet vegetable and kale is a favorite of mine. Vinegar or acids in general will brighten up lots of otherwise sad vegetables.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

Tofu mashed to mayo consistency and mixed with prepared wasabi is good on top of steamed broccoli.

Moi_1
QueenSashy added over 1 year ago

I like using balsamic reduction. It is easy to make and goes a long way with some freshly ground black pepper. Put the balsamico in a small skillet or sauce pan, and bring to boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer until reduced to about a third of the original volume. (The reduction will thicken some more as it cools.)

Chris_in_oslo

Thanks, I like all the suggestions. My friend loves basil, and I'm betting that the "basil blanket" will get wide use. I hadn't thought about tofu "mayo," and that's going to be a fun project. But all the suggestions are great, along with a bunch of others I've accumulated--sliced ginger on the bottom of the steamer, soy sauce in the steaming water, splashes of vinegars. Thanks again.