🔎

• 2

• 602

A question about a recipe: Butter And Herb Roast Turkey

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Butter And Herb Roast Turkey" from sdebrango. It says:

"After 3 hours, check the internal temperature of your turkey by inserting a thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. When it has reached an internal temperature of 150°F, remove from the oven, and brush the turkey with the remaining compound butter. Crank up the oven to 450°F. Put back in the oven without the lid and let it roast until the skin is a nice golden brown. The internal temperature should be 160°F when you remove from the oven. Total cooking time for an 18-20 pound turkey is 4-4 1/2 hours approximately. Let turkey rest for at least 30 minutes tented with foil and final temperature should be 165°F-170°F." Can I use this method with a stuffed turkey?

Webfood52_11-06-12-7989
3-bizcard

Yes, absolutely you can. I don't stuff a turkey but you may have to roast a little longer. Just make sure the internal temperature of the stuffing is the same as the internal temperature of the finished bird. I would check the temperature of the stuffing at the same time you check the temperature of the meat. The answer is yes and maybe someone here has roasted a stuffed bird before and has more specific instructions.

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

The challenge with roasting a stuffed turkey is that the bird may reach it's ideal temperature before the stuffing so I agree that's it's important to not only check the temp of the bird but of the stuffing too. In order to avoid having an overdry turkey, you may want to remove the turkey from the oven when it's reached 160 If the stuffing isn't done, then you might want to remove the stuffing; place it in a baking dish and finish cooking it on it's own.