🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Brown Sugar Apple Upside Down Cake with Apple Cider Caramel and Spiced Walnuts

Wfc-10-15_5540-applecake1

I have a question about the ingredient "baking powder" on the recipe "Brown Sugar Apple Upside Down Cake with Apple Cider Caramel and Spiced Walnuts" from apartmentcooker. how fresh should the baking powder be

asked by salivasister about 2 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I like to use baking powder within 12 months. Does the packaging on yours have an expiration date, or do you know how long you've had it for?

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

There's no question it can go off - I made some scones with some expired baking powder a few weeks ago (I don't bake all that much) and the results were disappointing to say the least :)

Try "proofing it" just by putting a 1/2 tsp in a cup water and see if it fizzes.
Also, do that when you first get a fresh unopened can when you open it so you have a baseline visual or amount of fizz it should have.
I usually keep unopened baking powder on hand as a back up. Even with the plastic lid with high humidity etc it starts to degrade faster than the 'use by/exp' date once opened and exposed to air.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I wonder if there's some way to store baking powder so that it doesn't "oxidize" -- i.e., isn't stored in contact with air. Maybe a zip-loc with the air pressed out?