A question about a recipe: Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie

Food52_11-15-11-7824

I have a question about the recipe "Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie" from Genius Recipes. Curious if anyone has an approximate amount of pumpkin puree to aim for when doing the first carmelization/cooking down? I cooked my pumpkins today and they are a bit watery - will drain a bit, and freeze so those processes will get rid of some water but an approximation of how much cooked down puree would be a good guideline for me to have. The photos are a good help for guidance on color and texture, just after some approximate volumns. Made this last year and it was great! Thanks in advance for the help.

asked by ejm almost 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Hi ejm, I'd wager you lose about 1/4 cup of volume from the liquid steaming off. Starting with 1 3/4 cup of a puree that looks like the photos will probably be a better indicator though -- good luck!

ejm

Wow, that was darn fast! Thanks - depending on how it defrosts I may just add a bit more puree and just cook it down to around 1.5 cup well cooked puree - a little over probably won't affect the set I would guess?