🔎

• 5

• 1509

• See other questions tagged:
    • soup

I have a black bean soup recipe calling for "nutritional yeast". What is that and what will it add to my soup?

Gator_cake

Voted the Best Answer!

It's a product commonly used in vegan cooking to give things a somewhat cheesy flavor. I think it's a good source of some of the B vitamins, but don't quote me on that. If you don't have it, you could use parmesan instead for a similar flavor addition (assuming you are not vegan, of course).

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 1 year ago

Yes, it has a cheese- like flavor and unlike Brewer's yeast, contains the vitamin B 12 which is found mostly in meat and dairy,which vegans don't consume and vegetarians may not get enough of. I use it as a topping on my salads, too.

darksideofthespoon added over 1 year ago

I love nutritional yeast - especially on popcorn. It has a ton of B vitamins in it and does have a very cheesy, buttery taste. You can find it at health food stores, mostly.

FutureChef added over 1 year ago

Whole foods usually has it in their 'bulk' section. I love it too!

chasey added over 1 year ago

You will LOVE it. It's SO good. Lots and lots of vitamins and minerals. A super food. Don't skip it and definitely try it on popcorn as well as in a vegan mac and cheese recipe. Oh my gush! So good. Enjoy.