🔔
🔎

If my pumpkin pie recipe calls for 3 eggs + 2 yolks, can I use 4 whole eggs instead?

I just don't want 4 whites floating around my already bursting fridge or freezer...

asked by Frau Nelson almost 2 years ago
Gator_cake

Yes. The more white in the custard, the more "eggy" it will taste. There's also no law that says you need to save the extra whites - sometimes when I'm doing large scale baking I have so many extra whites I end up flushing them down the toilet. As yet I've not died from doing so.

Waffle3

It will also change the texture and diminish the richness of the custard.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Extra egg whites can be frozen in an ice-cube tray, then popped out into a freezer bag, saved for those days when you just have to make a butterscotch meringue pie...

P1291120

They are also good for the dog's coat... As HLA indicates, sometimes there are just so many it is overwhelming (of course, that can also be an excuse for Angel food cake, or any of an assortment of meringues...)