upside-down turkey

Some chefs recommend roasting a turkey upside down for half the time & then turning it back up, for moister breast meat. Would this put dents in the breast, resting on a V rack, or would the turkey breast skin stick and tear?

asked by kitts almost 3 years ago
8425a5f0-773c-4ccd-b24e-9e75b44477a8--monita_photo

I'm not familiar with this method but I don't think it will put a dent. To prevent sticking, rub some vegetable or olive oil on the rack.

3f6be2de-402c-4521-b45d-8c4190dabde5--more_tomatoes

I've tried it a few times, also on a V rack, and despite liberally greasing the rack, the skin always tore. No dents. But I also never found much of a difference in the moistness of the breast, and flipping a big, piping hot turkey isn't easy, so I gave it up. Hope you have better luck!

516f887e-3787-460a-bf21-d20ef4195109--bigpan

Sneak some butter under the breast skin and cook breast-up. Get adventuresome and make a compound butter, like sage butter, or just mix in some store bought poultry seasoning with the butter.
I always use unsalted butter. It's better butter !