🔎

What if I don't press out the cranberries for the cranberry gelee?

This red wine, sugar, juniper berries recipe looks delicious, but now I wonder if I want to keep the burst cranberries. Would that produce a more traditional result, or just a mess?

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

It will be just as delicious, only chunky, not a smooth jelly-style. I would crush the juniper berries before adding them to the cranberries.

Susan.streit

Susan is a recipe tester for Food52.

Voted the Best Answer!

If you don't strain the cranberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve you will end up with a more traditional-style cranberry sauce. I wouldn't expect it to taste any different, and personally would prefer that style of cranberry sauce!

svz added over 1 year ago

Well, I added everything before asking, so should I put it all through a Cuisinart to crush the juniper berries and peppercorns? Or is there a better way?

joshapiro added over 1 year ago

If you already cooked the cranberries with the whole peppercorns and juniper berries, I'd really suggest pressing and straining the mixture. The peppercorns and juniper were meant for flavor and won't be pleasant to eat. I have serious doubts that blending would improve the situation. You can add cooked, crushed cranberries to the strained mixture if you prefer a chunkier sauce.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added over 1 year ago

If you haven't made it yet, put the juniper berries and peppercorns in a sachet (cheesecloth tied into a small bundle will do) and remove it after cooking or even just before serving for maximum flavor.