Mashed potatoes: baking vs. Boiling vs. Steaming

Does preparation method (baking vs. boiling vs. steaming potatoes) Noticeably effect consistency?

asked by emf224 almost 2 years ago

Peal them and cut them in half then in inch slices. Boil in salted water until fork tender..and drain the water out.
Here's the trick. Don't add butter, cream until you let the potatoes release some of the moisture---just let them sit in the drained pot a bit. Then add the additions. They should still be hot..but give up some moisture in a min.
Some applications using a ricer makes a more creamy mash...I'd avoid a food processor or stand mixer as it can make the potatoes become 'gummy'. I prefer some body to mashed potatoes instead of 'creamed' potatoes.

I peel and boil the potatoes whole so they absorb less water. I love my ricer as it makes them really smooth. Then add butter and heavy cream and season as necessary. They are light with no lumps and taste delicious.

Wholefoods_user_icon

At the end of the "day" as Sam1148 was saying, it is all technique. I don't think either method is a bad way. I prefer Boiling myself. Neither way effects consistency as much as what you put in the potatoes and how you prepare them. Hope that helps.

Smokin_tokyo

If adding a lot of butter or a cream sauce, etc. I find that microwaving works great too. It won't make a great BAKED potato but mashed doesn't matter and many nutrients are retained in the potatoes.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

This article yesterday has a lot of useful information in it: http://food52.com/blog... It suggests that you should steam russets, rinsing them half way through to get the starch off. I'm going to try that this weekend. ;o)