🔎

slow roasted green beans

I recently found a yummy-looking slow-roasted green bean recipe from Bon Appetit that I'd like to try for Thanksgiving. Trouble is, it calls for the beans to be roasted in the oven for a full hour at 400. I only have one oven available, and the turkey will of course be in there at a much lower temperature for most of the day, and it only rests for about 1/2 hour so that doesn't leave enough time to get the beans done once the turkey's out. Is it possible to par-roast the beans for a half-hour before I put the turkey in, or will sitting out of the oven in between cooking periods make them all shrivelly and sad?

Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

I'd have to see the recipe, but it sounds like the roasting is something you can do in full before you even put the turkey in at all. The recipe might be great served at room temp, otherwise rewarm in a low oven while your turkey rests right before the meal. I wouldn't risk par-roasting and finishing later -- you're right, you might get shriveled beans!

Sadie_crop
Diana B added over 1 year ago

Or do you have (or can you borrow) a toaster over than goes to 400 (not all of them do) which you could use for the beans?

amysarah added over 1 year ago

I roast green beans often - and frequently ahead of time (in fact, I'm doing them for Thanksgiving as well, with some roasted pearl onions.) They can be quickly reheated in the oven while the turkey rests.

Kristen W. added over 1 year ago

I do have a toaster oven but it's way too small for the amount I'll be cooking. So far it looks like cooking ahead and then reheating is the best option -- thanks so much for the input!

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added over 1 year ago

amysarah, do they shrink quite a bit? kristen might want to know that.

amysarah added over 1 year ago

Only if it's cold. (Sorry, couldn't resist the Seinfeld ref.) Anyway, I don't know this specific recipe, but generally I think part of the character of roast veg's is that condensation of flavor which, yes involves a bit of 'shrinkage' (as opposed to, say lightly steaming, where they retain all their juices, crispness, etc.) But no, reheating them very quickly - in the 300's, whatever setting the other sides require - shouldn't increase it. It only takes a few minutes, you're just warming them through. Having said that, Kristen says they'll originally be roast for an hour at 400 - that's a long time, so I'd imagine they'll be pretty shrunk well before a zap reheat. (Not that there's anything wrong with that ;-)

amysarah added over 1 year ago

Forgot to mention, when reheating, you can also cover them with foil to help keep moisture in. (Wish we had an edit button here!)

Kristen W. added over 1 year ago

Yeah, according to the blurb that goes with the recipe, this dish is about getting those beans REALLY tender and deeply caramelized, so yes, I do anticipate 'shrinkage' anyway. Thanks, amysarah, for the clarification, and for the laugh.