🔔
🔎

Will dry Brining a Frozen Butterball Turkey be too salty?

Will dry Brining a 12 lbs. Frozen Butterball Turkey result in an overly salty bird? I put the salt on the turkey last night and I need to know if I should go home and wash the salt off the bird before it ruins it. I have searched all over the internet and there is no definitive answer to this question.

asked by dfarron1 almost 2 years ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

You should be just fine! We find that 1 T of salt for every 5 pounds of bird works the best, and actually, a frozen bird works great with this method. Here it is, in full, for reference: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

My question is more specifically referring to the salt solution that Butterball injects into the bird and whether or not this in conjunction with the dry brine will cause the bird to be overly salty. Russ Parsons does say that it works well with a frozen turkey but he doesn't address a frozen turkey with a salt solution injection, does this make a difference?

Photo(7)
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

It should be fine defrosting while brining in the fridge for on here (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) goes for 3 whole days.

Photo(7)
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

"while brining in the fridge for less than 24 hours," sorry

So you are saying that instead of brining it for 3 days I should only keep the salt on a sodium injected Butterball turkey for 24 hours or less?