🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Making a More Healthy Version of Mom'sCarrot Pudding

My recipe calls for 2 cups shortening (Mom used all butter) ,cooks in a bundt pan. I was thinking of changing it to 1/2 c. cashew butter , 1/4 c. butter, 1/4 c. coconut oil. Would this be equivalent?

asked by jennaveev almost 2 years ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

This is quite a bit of experimentation! First off, your measurements should be equivalent -- so if your recipe calls for 2 cups of fat, make sure you're swapping it out for 2 cups of a different kind of fat. I would nix the cashew butter (it won't behave similarly at all), but a combination of butter and coconut oil should work just fine (and actually lend a nice flavor to the finished product).

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Before answering this, I'd want to see the entire recipe. What kind of a pudding is it? What are the other ingredients and their quantities? How is the carrot prepared before adding? There are so many factors to consider . . . ;o)

If this is a steamed pudding, my experience may help. I couldn't bear to put in all the butter in my old plum pudding recipe so I've gradually cut it down to half, & found I can even use margarine while still getting a good result.