🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Vegan Wedding Cake

I am making a vegan wedding cake and I am brand new to vegan baking, and frankly it scares me. I know the basic rules of what ingredients I can use, etc. I would rather just have a tride and true recipe that someone has used and loves than try and figure this out on my own. Does anyone have a great recipe they're willing to share for a simple vegan white/vanilla cake?

asked by Erin1323 almost 2 years ago
Marian Bull

Marian is Food52's Associate Editor.

Wow, what an impressive undertaking! Isa Chandra Moskovitz of The Post Punk Kitchen has great vegan baking recipes. Her chocolate gake recipe is my go-to. Here is a recipe for vanilla cupcakes, but you could easily make this into a layer cake by adjusting the cooking time (probably 30-35 minutes)! Good Luck! http://www.theppk.com/2010...

The best icing recipe I've ever had (and in fact the only one I even like) is raw vegan. It's wonderful because it's not so potently sweet. The downside is that it can't sit out on display Si it might not be ideal for the display cake but for a bigger wedding if you have additional for serving beyond the show cake, I highly recommend it. It's babycake's recipe and it consists of simply coconut oil, lemon juice, agave, and vanilla extract. Simply emulsify the oil into the other ingredients and refrigerate so the oil solidifies and you can ice the cake.

Also I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard of people substituting in canned pumpkin purée for the wet ingredients in chocolate cake recipes and having success without a detectable flavor change so that might be worth looking into. Flax meal is an easy substitution for eggs though for vegan baking.

Buddhacat

Beyondcelery, a Food52 cook, is gluten free and her recipes are wonderful. http://food52.com/recipes... No white cakes, however. Whatever you choose I recommend you bake a sample before. What a great friend you are!