🔔
🔎

Substitute or recipe for Lyle's Golden Syrup?

Having a hard time finding a jar without running all over town. Need it for a pecan pie recipe I found that sounds too delicious to be true. Is there a substitute for treacle, or can I make it myself? Only need a 1/2 cup. Basic Caramel?

asked by Burnt Offerings about 2 years ago
Baci1

For treacle, you can substitute with light molasses or dark corn syrup.

Burnt_offering

The recipe also calls for some dark corn syrup as well. Can I make treacle?

Baci1

Sounds like the type of treacle you need is Golden Syrup. Here's a recipe on how to make it, but I've never tried it, so I can vouch for the results.

http://neckredrecipes.blogspot...

Baci1

sorry, meant "can't vouch for the results".

Hilary_sp1

If I had to make a sub, I'd use corn syrup or barley malt syrup. If you are going for treacle, golden syrup, which is an invert syrup, will be pretty integral to the recipe. Syrups that are all sucrose will tend to crystallize- which is probably why you're recipe calls for golden syrup in the first place. You could substitute glucose syrup for some of the Lyle's, then use corn syrup for the rest.

I'd go for dark agave nectar.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Golden syrup isn't treacle. It's lighter, and has the depth of flavor of honey, but doesn't take like honey. If it were me, I would not sweat it one bit. I'd just use an equal amount of dark corn syrup, possibly subbing a teaspoon, but no more, of molasses. The dark syrups have such a strong flavor, they tend to overwhelm in pecan pies. (I've made dozens of pecan pies over the years for Mr. T, and have experimented every which way to Sunday.) The Lyle's has a distinctive, very pleasant flavor but -- this week in particular - it's not worth running all over town to run down. Just my opinion, of course. ;o) P.S. I would not substitute barley malt syrup, at least not the kind that is in my cupboard (a dark one, bought at WFM), as its flavor is also very strong.

Burnt_offering

Thanks Helen! I was coming to this same solution as I scoured the internet since posting this. I can usually find it - but no go today, and I am out of time and in the weeds this week.

3-bizcard

I just bought a flat of Lyles from Amazon, 6 bottles. I would be happy to send you a few bottles but it may not get to you in time for making your recipe. Let me know I would be happy to try to get it to you.

Burnt_offering

That's SO sweet (pardon the pun) sdebrango. This is why I ll make do. I can order some from Amazon for the next round.

3-bizcard

I am doing the same, a pie a thon, made dough tonight for 6, more tomorrow and Wednesday bake pies all day long. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Burnt_offering

Luckily, of the 5 pies I'm making - there is only one calling for Lyle's, so I'll be fine. Have to make 4 cheesecakes as well. There is a LOT of heavy cream, butter, cream cheese, and eggs in my fridge this week. Thank goodness the temps in my neck of the woods are conducive to storing pies in the garage this week!

3-bizcard

Wow, you are going to be busy, it's pretty warm here I will leave the window open in the dining room and I think all the pies will survive the night, you are busy, all those cheesecakes, I bet they are delicious! Happy Holidat!!

Hilary_sp1

burnt offerings, what did you end up doing in the end? I'm curious about your sub and the results!

Burnt_offering

The recipe called for 3/4 cup of dark or light corn syrup, and a 1/2 cup of Lyle's, so I simply used 1 1/4 cup of dark corn syrup and added 2 tsp of molasses. It was a toffee, coffee bourbon, pecan pie, and the filling tasted great before I poured it over the pecans and toffee pieces. Haven't tasted the finished product yet! :-)