🔔
🔎

Re: Food52's Slight Adaptation of Martha Stewart's Mac & Cheese

Emily C. said in her post: "...I assembled the casserole early in the afternoon, and then baked it in the oven right before serving dinner". I'd like to try this for tomorrow (Thanksgiving Day), as a time and cook-top space saver, but won't the pasta continue to cook and absorb the moisture from the heat of the cheese sauce while sitting out, and yield a different (undesired) consistency after baking?

asked by Sincere1981 almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

It should be ok. If you are you planning on re-heating it several hours later, let it cool completely before refrigerating. Re-heat covered so it doesn't overcook. I find mac and cheese is a pretty sturdy dish

Photo

I agree with Monita - and also suggest undercooking the macaroni if you're going to hold it and not bake right away. I will usually cook the macaroni for just 2 or 3 minutes. It's way undercooked but the texture is perfect in the finished baked dish. Bon appetit!