🔎

Nut-free topping for candied sweet potato casserole?

I'm making a candied sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving but every recipe I've found calls for pecans as the topping. I have a nut allergy (to all tree nuts and peanuts, but not to seeds) and would love to find a crunchy tasty topping that I can substitute for the pecans. Any suggestions?

Juliettefyb
Merrill

Voted the Best Answer!

Since it sounds like you're going for a fairly sweet dish, how about crumbling up some hard gingersnaps and scattering them over the top?

Merrill

Or wonder if you could toast some quinoa, mix it with a little brown sugar and butter and achieve a nice crunchy top that way. (Never actually done that, but seems like it might work.)

Kandm

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Toasted pumpkin seeds could be nice.

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Try oats (not instant); they work really well in a crumble topping

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

I would a seed smaller than pumpkin- maybe sunflower. But the crumbled snaps sound good too.

Gator_cake

When boulangere tested my sweet potato casserole recipe last year she used rolled oats for the topping with good success. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

chez_mere added over 1 year ago

How about some nut free granola?