🔎

• 6

• 582

A question about a recipe: Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise

I have a question about the recipe "Spiced Maple Pecan Pie with Star Anise" from merrill. My syrup christalized as it was reducing, can it be saved or do I need to start over?

Food52_11-01-11-5791
Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Perhaps Merrill will weigh in with more encouraging words, but unfortunately once it's crystallized, I think you will need to start over.

Merrill

Yes, sadly I would start again for best results.

atxdori added over 1 year ago

Thank you. Too bad, maple syrup isn't cheap! Maybe consider adding a note to the cooking instructions that says not to stir!

Sadie_crop
Diana B added over 1 year ago

Or perhaps add a bit of corn syrup to the mixture? That will stop crystallization (and it may even save what you have - worth a try; as you say, maple syrup's not cheap!).

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

While I have no experience with this particular recipe, in general crystallized syrups can be saved by either warming them until the crystals dissolve (like you would with crystallized honey) or by diluting with water and then re-reducing to the desired consistency. This same technique can be applied to syrups that are cooked beyond the desired temperature, say a candy cooked to the hard ball stage when the recipe called for soft ball.

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

Also, a little bit of baking soda can help avoid crystalization...