🔎

• 2

• 884

• See other questions tagged:
    • brining

Urgent! Can I add a pork rib roast to my turkey brine solution?

Hi all! I've been brining turkeys for years now and have a heritage bird in the fridge right now (in a standard brine based on this recipe: http://www.sfgate.com/news...). I'm also doing a pork rib roast. I'm thinking about just adding the roast into the brine with the turkey. Anybody see any issues with that? I could just salt the roast a few hours before cooking instead. Thanks!

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

I'd be concerned about the flavors of the pork and turkey mixing. Would recommend a separate process for the pork

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

There's a food safety issue here. One must assume all poultry is contaminated with salmonella bacteria which could easily cross-contaminate the pork which will not, I assume, be cooked to pasteurization. Don't do it.

Ordinarily one does not have to be too concerned with surface contamination of a roast but the brine could pull the bacteria deep into the meat where a sear would not be able to kill it.