🔔
🔎

No brine

Can we follow recipe, if we did not brine?

asked by DMilner about 2 years ago
Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Which recipe are you looking to follow?

Russ Parsons’ Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird.)
It says to dry brine for three days... Should I do it just overnight or just skip brine instructions all together. Does brining change cook time... I am new to cooking. :)

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

You can do it overnight -- I'd say go for it! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Me
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Any brine is good brine! Follow the recipe now as if you're starting three days ago. It won't be quite the same, but it certainly will help. Good luck!

(Oh, and no, brining doesn't affect cooking time!)

Even overnight will help. Don't cook by time. Cook by temperature. It is best to use an instant read thermometer and test both the breast and the legs, the legs need to be 175 and the breast 160F. When the bird rests for 20 minutes it will continue to cook and temp will rise.

Yes you can get away without using brine, the brining step is just to ensure the bird's moisture in the breast especially, and add some flavor. Plenty of people don't brine. But if you can do the dry rub tonight, I would recommend it. Cook it with the legs toward the back of the oven. Don't overcook.

I had never heard of brining until this year & I've been cooking turkeys for 40years (always guests are thrilled take home leftovers). I won't change my ways because I'm on a low salt diet. If you don't overcook you bird it won't be dry. Put butter, S & P on it, baste it occasionally & put S& P on the table. It'll be great!

Thank you. I will brine over night. Will post outcome. I am so exited , I've never brined :))
Happy Thanksgiving !