🔎

• 3

• 1018

Buying fresh perogies in Lower Manhattan?

I am staying in LES for a few weeks, and can't imagine that there isn't somewhere very near by where I can pick up fresh perogies to cook at home? I am planning a little get-together for Sunday afternoon and would love to have some better-than-our-usual perogies to work with, for a little something special (and yes, I *would* love to make them myself, but it isn't going to happen this time around). Searches only point me to restaurants...

Dsc_0002_2

Ruthy is a recipe tester for Food52.

Veselka on 2nd and i believe 9th street does great peroigis that i think you can purchase to bring home. If not, there is a polish grocery up at 2nd and about 12th that would probably be the best bet. Good luck!

LnO added over 1 year ago

Just go across the Williamsburg Bridge to Greenpoint. Huge concentration of Polish stores and restaurants.

Dsc_0002_2
threefresheggs added over 1 year ago

Thanks Ruthy & LnO, As a long-term Brooklynite, exiled to Manhattan to await the recovery of my home post-Sandy, I am sort-of invested in indulging the Manhattan fantasy of being able to get whatever within a few-to-several block radius – heading back over the bridges would burst my bubble. Greenpoint, being rather poorly served by the MTA (much like my neighborhood), I would be looking at several transfers to get there from as low and east as I am. Oh, how the charm fades! I am going to stick to my walking-distance only fantasy, pay the perogie calories forward, and walk the half-hour to find the grocery at 2nd Ave – I can always go to Veselka on the way back if I fail : ) Thanks for the help!