🔔
🔎

Upset stomach assistance

asked by CaramelBlond about 2 years ago
Marian Bull

Marian is Food52's Associate Editor.

Drink some ginger ale -- it never fails.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

My go-to is chocolate milk.

svz

My "cure" is to squeeze one whole lemon into hot water, add 1 T. shaved fresh ginger, 1 T. honey, and steep for 5 minutes. I make a pitcher and drink until I feel better. Works every time!

What type of upset stomach?
Ate too much? Bitters and ginger ale
Drank too much? Fresh ginger, honey, lemon tea
Just sick? Nap

Stress. I'm moving in about 10 days.

Bigpan

As you get older, the valve that controls stomach acid from escaping up to your esophagus weakens. Discuss with your doctor and consider a Rx that controls acid reflux.

Dsc01280

I'm three and a half months pregnant, and for several weeks survived on real ginger ale, saltines, and mashed potatoes. Bland is best.

A tsp of apple cider vinegar to 8oz of water works.
But for stress chamomile tea with honey and ginger, or green tea with ginger and honey.
(a couple of xanax is even better)

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Peppermint tea is also nice for indigestion/ overeating.

20090907-jackson-8

Serotonin--that natural feel-good brain neurotransmitter--gets depleted when you are stressed. Because there are serotonin receptors in the gut, one feels bloated if serotonin is relatively deficient. If you think stress is the root cause, then physical activity is the answer. Even light walking will boost your serotonin levels and relieve your belly ache.

When I was pregnant I found my stomach was always better with something in it. Arrowroots are nice bland cookies if that's what you need. I found that a Granny Smith apple was perfect when things got dicey. Maybe the crispness or perhaps the tartness gave my mouth a legitimate reason to water. It would also quench my thirst without my having to have a stomach full of liquid. Whenever I left the house I had an apple & a plastic bag (in case I didn't get to the apple fat enough). Others have found Popsicles good - cool & refreshing without being too much.

Actually, on cruise ships encountering choppy waters, the captain sends fruit basics with Geanny Smith apples to passengers to quell seasickness.

Lots of good temporary remedies above that have worked for me too. You're probably very busy right now, but if it's chronic, try to see a gastroenterologist and explain it's recurring pain/discomfort so you need to see the doc as soon as possible. Your health is everything - don't push off seeing a doc. Good luck with your move!

Hot peppermint tea is great. I had this issue beginning of the month because I was stressed out about moving as well. Tastes delicious and works well. Hope you feel better.

P1291120

Ginger is also known for stomach calming properties. Personally, I like to chew candied ginger, but ginger tea or ginger ale (already mentioned several times) are also good choices.

Ginger tea with a tad of honey

I'm with the ginger ale/chamomile tea crowd for a mild sour tummy. For serious sea-sickness, my step-father would dunk lemon wedges in sugar and feed me those with one hand and Saltine crackers with the other, a trick he learned as a flight crew member in WWII. Stress? Bananas.