🔎

• 18

• 1605

• See other questions tagged:
    • entree

Upset stomach assistance

Marian is an editor at Food52.

Drink some ginger ale -- it never fails.

Sadie_crop
Diana B added over 1 year ago

My go-to is chocolate milk.

svz added over 1 year ago

My "cure" is to squeeze one whole lemon into hot water, add 1 T. shaved fresh ginger, 1 T. honey, and steep for 5 minutes. I make a pitcher and drink until I feel better. Works every time!

kimhw added over 1 year ago

What type of upset stomach?
Ate too much? Bitters and ginger ale
Drank too much? Fresh ginger, honey, lemon tea
Just sick? Nap

CaramelBlond added over 1 year ago

Stress. I'm moving in about 10 days.

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

As you get older, the valve that controls stomach acid from escaping up to your esophagus weakens. Discuss with your doctor and consider a Rx that controls acid reflux.

Dsc01280
Gibson2011 added over 1 year ago

I'm three and a half months pregnant, and for several weeks survived on real ginger ale, saltines, and mashed potatoes. Bland is best.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

A tsp of apple cider vinegar to 8oz of water works.
But for stress chamomile tea with honey and ginger, or green tea with ginger and honey.
(a couple of xanax is even better)

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Peppermint tea is also nice for indigestion/ overeating.

20090907-jackson-8
jacksonholefoodie added over 1 year ago

Serotonin--that natural feel-good brain neurotransmitter--gets depleted when you are stressed. Because there are serotonin receptors in the gut, one feels bloated if serotonin is relatively deficient. If you think stress is the root cause, then physical activity is the answer. Even light walking will boost your serotonin levels and relieve your belly ache.

jsdunbar added over 1 year ago

When I was pregnant I found my stomach was always better with something in it. Arrowroots are nice bland cookies if that's what you need. I found that a Granny Smith apple was perfect when things got dicey. Maybe the crispness or perhaps the tartness gave my mouth a legitimate reason to water. It would also quench my thirst without my having to have a stomach full of liquid. Whenever I left the house I had an apple & a plastic bag (in case I didn't get to the apple fat enough). Others have found Popsicles good - cool & refreshing without being too much.

CaramelBlond added over 1 year ago

Actually, on cruise ships encountering choppy waters, the captain sends fruit basics with Geanny Smith apples to passengers to quell seasickness.

Pegeen added over 1 year ago

Lots of good temporary remedies above that have worked for me too. You're probably very busy right now, but if it's chronic, try to see a gastroenterologist and explain it's recurring pain/discomfort so you need to see the doc as soon as possible. Your health is everything - don't push off seeing a doc. Good luck with your move!

siryn511 added over 1 year ago

Hot peppermint tea is great. I had this issue beginning of the month because I was stressed out about moving as well. Tastes delicious and works well. Hope you feel better.

P1291120
SeaJambon added over 1 year ago

Ginger is also known for stomach calming properties. Personally, I like to chew candied ginger, but ginger tea or ginger ale (already mentioned several times) are also good choices.

hkellyis added over 1 year ago

Ginger tea with a tad of honey

Melusine added over 1 year ago

I'm with the ginger ale/chamomile tea crowd for a mild sour tummy. For serious sea-sickness, my step-father would dunk lemon wedges in sugar and feed me those with one hand and Saltine crackers with the other, a trick he learned as a flight crew member in WWII. Stress? Bananas.