Imag0055

If they are fresh, just trim and put in a pot of boiling salted water until they are tender but not mushy. Bigger ones may need an incision with a knife in the base, so they cook quickly and evenly. Drain them and roll them around in some butter, salt and pepper. People do terrible things to Brussels sprouts (in addition to overcooking), like burying them in bacon fat and bread crumbs and cream and etc. No wonder they have a bad reputation. Carefully cooked and plainly dressed, they are wonderful.

I like them plain and simple as described above, but also glazed with balsamic (stovetop) until very caramelized, and tossed with walnuts or almonds.

Gator_cake

I like this cooking method: http://www.oregonlive.com...
They're cooked on a cast iron skillet under the broiler, so they get that great charred quality w/o getting mushy.

Jason_wood_headshot_2
Jason Wood

Jason is the Culinary Director at Glynwood and is dedicated to sourcing ingredients in a way that preserves our natural environment and local agriculture.

I like using a cast iron pan and getting it pretty hot before adding any fat. I simply trim the tough end off and then cut each sprout in half. After the fat is nice in hot i put them in cut side down, like searing a piece of meat. Season with salt and pepper. I check the ones in the middle of the pan first and look for a nice browning. Once that is happens, I'll shake the pan to get them to flip over and free themselves from the bottom of the pan. Then I put the pan in a 350 degree oven and roast until just soft enough to insert a knife, maybe 5 min.

I agree, overcooked brussel sprouts are the worst.