🔎

• 3

• 4260

• See other questions tagged:
    • baking
Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Best when baking to have everything at room temperature. Your eggs are probably too cold when added to creamed butter that is "warm" from the creaming

Voted the Best Answer!

I'm guessing that you're creaming room temp butter and sugar, then adding the eggs. If your eggs are straight out of the refrigerator, soak them for 5 minutes in warm (not hot!) water, then crack them into something from which you can pour them easily, like a liquid measuring cup. Once the butter and sugar are fully creamed and pale in color, with the mixer running on low speed, tip the eggs in one at a time, allowing each to be fully (fully!) incorporated before adding the next. Adding them gently warmed and one at a time, allows the fats in the yolks to emulsify with the butter, bringing along with them the water in the whites which also bond with the sugar. If the eggs are too cold when you add them, the effectively reduce the temperature of the butter, making emulsion more difficult. Adding the eggs all at once also inhibits emulsion, and results in that scrambled egg appearance.

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I think @boulangere's answer is great. I have only this to add: if your eggs are Large or XL, leave them in that bowl of warm water for longer. If after 10 minutes your water feels cold, replace with more warm water. If I know I'm going to make a cake at 2pm, I pull out my eggs and butter by 8am, depending on the ambient temperature of my kitchen. Cold butter meeting cold eggs will "break" a batter, whether eggs are added all at once or one at a time. Butter and eggs want to form an emulsion, and from that, gain air, so that cake will rise. But eggs and butter and like water and oil. They will not dance together at the party unless they are both the same temperature. Happy cake making!