I spilled turmeric on my kitchen counter. What's the best way to get the color out?

asked by Chitra Agrawal over 1 year ago
ATL

Can you tell us what material your countertops are made of?

Start with lemon juice or vinegar and "magic eraser" type sponge.
Rinse and see if that removed it. Then try some Bar keepers friend in a paste.

Bigpan

I agree with Sam , Barkeepers Friend is a miracle cleaner. Paste is better than powder.

I discovered by accident the strangest solution to this problem (my counters, fwiw, are laminate). I accidentally grabbed my bottle of Fit fruit and veggie cleaner when I was grabbing for the counter spray. It caused the colorant/stain to well up and darken, almost as if it had purged it out of the counter. Then it wiped right up.

Depending on what your counters are made of, hydrogen peroxide may help. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Scan0004

Not having this range of solutions, I have found that even after cleaning turmeric still remained on my counter tops, but over time it lightened and couldn't be seen. (Another vote for benign neglect.)

Moi_1

I have caesarstone countertops and clean the tough stains, including turmeric, with Softscrub. It eliminates it completely.

This has worked on my ceaser stone as well as my old laminate. A paste of baking soda and water, let dry. It may take multiple applications. It took sharpie out of my white ceaser stone.