🔔
🔎

Can I mimic pizelle or krumkake wafer cookie texture without using a separate "maker" or gadget?

I was thinking a nice hot, well-seasoned cast iron griddle with a ring mold might do the trick. I love the flavor of pizelle and that great texture, but I wouldn't make these more than a few times a year. A one-purpose gadget doesn't make sense for this...and it doesn't have to be exact. Any thoughts on slight modifications to a recipe to make this work would be fantastic, too.

asked by Raquelita almost 2 years ago

not sure, but wondering whether a griddle or grilled cheese maker would work

The batter has to be heated on both sides at once. Maybe you could heat two frying pans and pour the batter into one and place the other, bottom side down, on top of the batter. The would both have to be greased. I wouldn't use cast iron as the top pan as it's too heavy, but something like All Clad pans might work.

Waffle3

You could try the technique I use to make corn tortillas without a specialty tool, i.e. a clear glass pie plate. You might have to add a little more flour to a standard recipe (or not) but you should be able to press the dough / batter between a layer of parchment and plastic wrap. Peel back the wrap, slide the parchment onto a cookie sheet and bake until GB&D.

Hilary_sp1

I make a lot of pizzelle, and I'm going to have to say probably not. The iron heats the batter from both sides- making the cookies both crispy and giving them beautiful indentation.
Pizzelle batter is not at all like a corn tortilla. It is an extremely soft batter, consisting of a high quantity of eggs and melted butter, which gives the cookie its crisp exterior. Chef Ono, I think your suggestion would lead to significant spread in the cookie and would not guarantee crispiness. I have tried a flat iron panini press, and that works- but what you will actually create is a crispy sheet. You can attempt to cut that sheet down with kitchen sheers or very sharp cookie cutters. I've done it, but it isn't optimal. Keep in mind that the panini press will not get as hot as a traditional pizzelle iron.

Waffle3

I was going to argue that, although a pizzelle maker heats both sides of the cookie simultaneously, other than forming the pattern there is no reason I can think of that it has to be so. But then I figured, I'm a little hungry, let's find out for sure if I'm right or wrong. I have no problem (begrudgingly) admitting when I'm wrong. But this isn't one of those rare times. [Wink]

I fired up my pizzelle maker, prepped a batch of batter and cooked off a half-dozen pizzelle. Meanwhile I set the oven to 375F then went looking for my Pyrex pie plate. Oh bother, it hasn’t made its way back home yet after Thanksgiving. No matter, any clear glass dish with a flat bottom and large enough diameter will suffice. As proposed, I set a sheet of parchment down on my board, dished a scoop of batter and covered it with a piece of plastic wrap. Prest-o change-o, peel back the plastic, slide the parchment onto a cookie sheet and into the oven she goes. The top didn't brown as quickly as the bottom (could that be remedied with the broiler?) so I flipped it and let it finish.

Results: Surprisingly similar -- same taste of course but also the same size and finished thickness. What the ersatz pizzella lacked was to be expected -- the texture of the patterned cookie. But they were so close that you had to have them side-by-side to know the difference.

So there you go, Raquelita, no $50 press needed, not even a modification to the recipe required.

Waffle3

I also tried cooking one in a skillet like a pancake except using a cut-to-fit piece of parchment to transfer the batter after pressing it flat. After the cookie sets you can easily flip it to brown the other side. I shot the pizzelle press with an infrared thermometer and heated the skillet to the same 325 degrees. It worked, but the results weren't as crisp. Maybe a lower temperature would give it a chance to dry out a little more but I ran out of batter trying to see if I could transfer it from the board without the parchment (I couldn't).