🔔
🔎

Hosting a Christmas Party Saturday. Planned on making roasted peaches wrapped in pancetta with basil and balsamic for one of my warm hors d'oeuvres.

I didn't think about the fact that its December, and peaches are impossible to find in Ohio now. So, my question for you is, can I substitute with well thawed, well drained frozen peaches? Anyone have any ideas for a substitute fruit? Or should I just abandon it all together since I have 15 other things to eat?

asked by Jacqueline,DiNuoscio almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

If you have frozen, fresh peaches then I would use those. Thaw them completely and pat dry if there is excess moisture. Or you could try using ripe small pears as an alternative

I would be afraid that frozen peaches would be mushy so try one out before deciding. Otherwise, pear is a great suggestion. Or you could change plans and do bacon wrapped stuffed figs with Parmesan. It is a good idea to plan according to what is seasonally available and not get hung up on doing something that just isn't possible until summer.

Sorry, I meant bacon wrapped dates stuffed with good Parmesan, not figs

These bacon-wrapped pickled apricots are a favorite of mine and pretty foolproof (which is why i like them so much!): http://food52.com/recipes...

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Agree with Monita and lloreen, I would also use pears or figs as they are winter fruits, and hence more Christmas-y. Basil probably will not work in the dish any more, perhaps you can substitute it with rosemary.

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I know of a good place that does have nice flash frozen peaches. I'm going to try one of those and see how they do. If the texture is off (my fear), I like the idea of the pears with rosemary. I want to stay away from the bacon wrapped dates, as I did those last year, stuffed with Asiago. For those that suggested pears, I have never roasted or seared them before. Do they hold their texture well? I would have thought they break down and get mushy or too soft.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Make sure you get firm pears, probably a bit firmer than if you were to eat them raw. Bosc would be the best, I also used super-firm green Anjou.