🔎

Looking for recommendation for immersion blender

Primary use would be for soups

400584_2795982053875_1473082837_n_(1)

Brette is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Here's something I wrote about that -- scroll down to the comments to get even more advice! http://food52.com/blog...

jsdunbar added over 1 year ago

I swear by my Bamix. I've had for about 5 years & it has done everything I've asked of if. My non-cook husband even started using it recently to make small batches of his own peanut butter. It was expensive, but having worn out a cheaper one, I would never go back. Whatever is in my soup, I can partially or completely purée it. I've heard people say they've used their Bamix for as long as 35 years!

Wholefoods_user_icon
a Whole Foods Market Customer added over 1 year ago

I had a Braun that lasted me over 10 years. I now have a KitchenAid. I prefer my old Braun over the KitchenAid but I had a 30% off at Kohl's as well as a $10 certificate. So...

Anyway, I am not unhappy. I still use it as much.

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added over 1 year ago

I also have a Braun that I love; have had it for years.

inpatskitchen added over 1 year ago

I have a Viking with a whisk attachment (thanks to Food52) which is far superior to my old Cuisinart. I love it!

I'm down with the Viking too (and I don't need the accessories). I used to be skeptical of immersion blenders until someone here suggested putting the pot in the prep sink instead of trying to use it on the stove top. Doink!

Rupal P added over 1 year ago

The Kitchenaid KHB100ER is nice and comes with lots of accessories but not sure if this has been discontinued since i'm not spotting it on Amazon. After doing a lot of research this is the one that I bought about a year ago.

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Breville's got a very powerful one - not quite as pricey as the Bamix (which is also excellent) but 15 speeds up to "ice crushing".
http://www.surlatable.com...

One thing you don't want to do is go cheap on these things - spend less than about $80 (full price) and you might as well use a potato masher to puree soups :)

Open-uri20121010-19560-7ckhkl-0
Ben Pagel added over 1 year ago

Smart-stick-hand-blender I got a Cuisinart as a gift a few years ago and it works fanstastically. No complaints.

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Manufacturers seem to change designs so regularly I don’t feel comfortable recommending any particular immersion blender but I can list three features you should consider:

Shaft seal: You want a tight seal to prevent food from collecting and subsequent contamination.

Removable shaft: Although these blenders are usually quite easy to hand wash, being dishwasher safe is always a good feature, if not for convenience, then for safety.

Multiple speeds: I don't know if I've ever used speeds 3, 5, 7 and 8 on my 9-speed KitchenAid model but I don't think 2 speeds are enough for home use. 3 probably but 5 for sure will give you plenty of range starting with a low enough low that you don't overprocess or splash small batches.

Michele Ludmer added over 1 year ago

The Kalorik Sunny Morning Stick Mixer, $16 at Amazon is Cook's Illustrated's top pick. Having said that, I also have the Braun and am very happy with it.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added over 1 year ago

The Kalorik is a piece of cheap junk. I speak from experience! I bought one to use at my daughter's home. Cook's Illustrated has now revised their evaluation to eliminate it. I love my Braun, which I've had for years, but sadly Braun no longer sells their kitchen appliances in the U.S.

jmburns added over 1 year ago

I have had my Braun for 20 yrs. still works like a champ

20090907-jackson-8
jacksonholefoodie added over 1 year ago

I purchased my Braun at a garage sale for $1, and it worked for 20 years before it finally broke. I replaced it with a Bamix, which has several nice features, including adjustable speeds, and a few different blades. I like that it comes with the perfect sized plastic jar and lid for making smoothies to go.