A question about a recipe: Rosemary-Mascarpone Potato Latkes

I have a question about the recipe "Rosemary-Mascarpone Potato Latkes" from RonnieVFein. Never made latkes before - can I mix up the potato mixture in advance then fry close to dinner time? Or will the potatos go brown and nasty? Thanks!

asked by plainhomecook almost 3 years ago

Potatoes will turn color. You can get everything else together ahead of time but do the potatoes just before you want to fry them

Mom used to grate them ahead and put them in cold water in the fridge with a squeeze of lemon (not sure the lemon was needed but it tasted good.) The starch settles to the bottom so you have to drain carefully and add it back in our not depending on how you like your pancakes.

The lemon really helps and tastes good. You can also use cream of tartar, which adds no flavor. Acid in the water helps keep the potatoes white. I've kept potatoes as long as 24 hours that way.

If you do store them in water, be sure and wring them out really well before you fry them. My stepson made them and wrung them out in cheesecloth first--they were the lightest, crispiest latkes I've ever had.

You might also consider making the latkes ahead of time, draining, cooling, and freezing (put in layers flat on cookie sheet, with waxed paper between layers). To reheat, 350 oven till heated through and crisp (about 15 min.)(do not defrost first). This works well, and makes it easier to serve a group -- and easier for you to enjoy their company.