🔎

• 10

• 1104

• See other questions tagged:
    • bread

does cornmeal absorb moisture the same as ap flour? how would I modify a recipe to include cornmeal

Merrill

Can you share the recipe? The substitution wouldn't be 1:1, and it might help to know what you're making.

brandon added over 1 year ago

i dont have a recipe. want to make one.

I'll echo Merrill: what is it you're wanting to create a recipe for? The answer for a quick bread will be different from that for a yeasted bread. I add polenta to many baked goods, both yeasted and not. A little more info would help us help you. And kudos to you!

brandon added over 1 year ago

well essentially what Im trying to do is create a cornbread with the elasticity and crumb of something like a brioche or a typical sandwich bread

brandon added over 1 year ago

You'll need to make a yeasted dough in order to do that. Is there a recipe you already have in mind?

Moi_1
QueenSashy added over 1 year ago

echoing the previous posts -- you will need to use yeast and probably combine cornmeal with regular flour. if you are experimenting, try 1 cup of cornmeal, and 1-2 cups of flour. there are plenty of recipes on the web looking like something you are after, maybe it's worth doing some research before you go ahead.

Moisture absorption isn't going to be your sole concern. Cornmeal (or polenta) contain no gluten, and therefore don't contribute to the protein structure that holds bread together. For the same reason, too much of it will weaken the bread's structure. I'd suggest no more than about 1/4-1/3 cup of cornmeal or polenta to 4 cups of bread flour.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Sounds like you want to make a Yeasted Portuguese Cornbread, pao de milho (sp?). Here is a recipe and it looks like what you want,

http://www.kohlercreated...