🔔
🔎

instead of real sugar in Teddies Apple Cake..can I use Splenda?

asked by judy clemons about 2 years ago

I know that the company that makes Splenda says that you can, but I've never tried it. Check the Splenda website www.Splenda.com for info on how to substitute, and what the constraints are. it can be challenging to bake when you have to limit sugar. I hope it works out for you.

Baci1

I once tried to make a choc cake recipe with Splenda. Total disaster. The cake was likea rubber frisbee. The filler used to make it measure out equal to sugar does some strange things to recipes that you can't really predict. Try a recipe specifically designed to use Splenda.

Baci1

Sarah_chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Sugar adds both sweetness and texture to baked goods - for example, the chemical reaction (caramelization) can make cookies crispier. Sugar is also hydroscopic (attracts water) and so this affects the result and contributes to things like spread in cookies. The action of creaming butter and sugar together is a way to leaven cakes.

Therefore, a straight substitution will work better in some recipes than others. As HalfPint advises, using a recipe specifically designed to use Splenda, which takes into account these other effects, will yield best results.

Dsc_0028

The word is actually hygroscopic (with a g), not hydroscopic, though the latter sounds correct.

I would not, as others have mentioned. If you're subbing out of health concerns, other than diabetes, I'd venture to say that splenda is worse for you than any other sugar. Have you thought of trying to cut down on the sugar or sub with some applesauce instead? Might be a better experiment.