🔎

• 3

• 552

mushroom storage

Bought some mushrooms at the farmers market, but won't have time to make the quiche they're intended for until day after tomorrow. How can I best store them so they don't degrade?

Sadie_crop
FutureChef added over 1 year ago

Cold. Dark. Dry...mushrooms are about 70% water so keep some air circulating to reduce moisture.
FATTOM: food, acid, time, temperature, oxygen, moisture

Bex,Wicks added over 1 year ago

Paper bags instead of plastic - blocks the light and allows them to breathe

Waffle3
ChefOno added over 1 year ago

Mushrooms are tricky because they need exactly the right level of moisture; too little and they dry out, too much and they turn to slime. Refrigeration helps but, depending upon where they're stored -- and what they're stored with -- the humidity may be too high or too low. Commercial packaging was designed to extend their shelf life. Another method that works well is to wrap them loosely in paper towels, put them in a small bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and then punch holes in the wrap. The paper keeps them from contacting the glass or plastic and trapping moisture (which would promote rot) while still allowing them to breathe.