🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Stress Free Vegan Holiday Gingerbread Cookies

Reishrp-vmxns3vcauo2cx11iynuo2q0vlub_-g9pmw

I have a question about the recipe "Stress Free Vegan Holiday Gingerbread Cookies" from Gena Hamshaw. I made these over the weekend and they plumped up while baking (like the ones in the photo above seem to have done). Each day since then, they've become softer and softer. I followed the recipe exactly, and yet they are not and have never been crispy. What do you think went wrong? Should I have cooked them much longer than I did? I cut out smallish reindeer shapes, and they darkened around the edges. ;o)

asked almost 2 years ago

I took a look at the recipe, and all three of the sweetening options given are very hygroscopic, meaning that they will literally pull moisture out of the air. That's one of the reasons high fructose corn syrup is such a darling to commercial bakeries: it give those super-sticky muffins a loooooooong shelf life. Given the relatively high humidity where you live, softening of these cookies is inevitable unless you hermetically seal them. Beautiful photo, by the way.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Well, this is good to know. Thanks for the quick reply! I made Amanda's mother's cut out cookies (which use only white sugar) the same day, and they are so crisp that they're rock hard, though they've been stored in exactly the same conditions. I'm actually not that crazy about the flavor of these gingerbread cookies -- personal preference, not that there's anything particularly wrong with the recipe -- so I'll probably go back to my Americanized Lebkuchen, when I don't require a vegan cookie. They're not crispy, but are more sort of chewy-hard. ;o)

Image

I noticed that there's a lot of baking soda in the recipe (1.5 teaspoons) relative to the amount of flour. Even for a cake, when there are acidic ingredients like molasses, you only need 1/4 teaspoon per cup of flour. I think that's why they've plumped up so much.