🔎

What are the best potatoes for latkes?

Having a personal debate with my dad. Would love to hear thoughts. I say russets.

Miglore

Kristen is the Senior Editor of Food52

I would have thought Russets until we tasted these: http://food52.com/recipes...

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added over 1 year ago

I prefer the large Yukon Golds too, but you do read everywhere that russets are best because they're starchier.

amysarah added over 1 year ago

Intrigued by using yukon golds and panko...never been a stickler for nit-picky authenticity, so I'm definitely going to try it. But IF the goal is 'traditional' latkes, you'd use Russets (starchy spuds) and add just enough matzoh meal to bind - the texture should be crisp on the outside, melty potato-ness on the inside. My granny never encountered Yukon Gold, and certainly not panko....but had she, she probably would have given it a go (shtetl life didn't exactly cultivate the kind of doctrinaire 'rules' we now insist upon.)

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

I just made some a couple days ago. As an appetizer, I used Yukon golds, egg, walla walla sweet onion, panko, and a bit of shredded parsnip for a bit of kick,
I sprayed a mini muffin tin with canola spray and a couple drops of olive oil. Spoon a tablespoon of the Latka mix and press a bit to make a depression. Bake at 375F (convection) for about 20 minutes or until the edges get golden.
Next, I mixed a bit of horseradish and finely chopped red onion into sour cream.
Spoon the sour cream into the cups and top with slivers of lox. (I used west coast Indian candy salmon instead)

Dsc00859_2
creamtea added over 1 year ago

I use a blend of Yukon Golds and russets.

Imag0055
mainecook61 added over 1 year ago

Use what you have. It is not easy for me to grow a russet-type in Maine, so I mostly use Yukons or whatever I have in storage. As long as the excess moisture is squeezed out, most potatoes can be turned into excellent latkes. I keep matzo meal on hand in case extra starch is needed.