🔎

• 6

• 1213

• See other questions tagged:
    • meat

How big a prime rib should I get for 14 people?

Me

Kenzi is the Associate Editor of Food52.

An 8lb prime rib feeds 6-8, so I'd go for at least 16 pounds to be safe. (But who doesn't want leftovers?)

I usually think 1/2 pound per person so something in the 10 to 12 pound range should work. But it depends on what your butcher has to offer. Weight will affect the cooking time so be prepared for that.

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

Considering the bone weight and hefty fat cap, I would consider doing TWO 8 pounders.
Due to the mass in the oven, use a thermometer to make sure it comes out perfect.
Remember it still is cooking while you rest it before carving. Pull out 5F before your desired doneness.

Img__631-1_(1)
thirschfeld added over 1 year ago

for a boneless prime rib pierino is right on, about a 1/2 lb per person but if you have big eaters you might want to up that by a pound or two, to say 14 lbs. If you are doing bone in obviously you will need to adjust probably to 16 to 18 lbs. because you will have lots of fat with the bone.

ECarter added over 1 year ago

One pound per person

Uruguay2010_61
usuba dashi added over 1 year ago

Rule of thumb for standing rib roast/prime rib (still on the bone) is 2-3 people per rib. Easiest way to calculate size needed and has always worked for me all the years of cooking and catering I have done.