🔎

• 8

• 7013

can i freeze cream cheese? what happens to texture after thawing?

Profilepreferred

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

I just tested this! I had a huge block of cream cheese (from Costco - the HUGE one!) and realized I had no time to use it, so I sliced it into 4 ounce blocks, wrapped in plastic, and then froze the blocks in a zip bag.

Last week, I took out one of the blocks and let it defrost. It was a little weird, texturally, for spreading on toast, but I used it in rugelach dough and it worked perfectly.

I also defrosted the cream cheese for cheesecake, and I think it worked BETTER than unfrozed cream cheese. More experimentation is necessary, but the short answer to your question is - YES, you can freeze it.

Img_0836-001_(1)

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

agreed!! and if you're going the cheesecake route, you can freeze those too in my experience.

Profilepreferred

um, unfrozen - not unfrozed. (My English teacher mother is rolling her eyes.)

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 1 year ago

Cathy it appears that many mums of foodies are English teachers. I know the feeling!!!

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Are the parentheses needed in your statement? You should also capitalized the U in Um as it is the beginning of the sentence. The hyphen between 'unfrozen and unfrozed' is not needed as a comma would do. You're welcome.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

I'm kidding here...I wish for the edit button back on food52, I can't speel wll. We all make mistakes posting add answer too quickly. (g).

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 1 year ago

And silly me, I meant to write 'Mums' of writers....not foodies!

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 1 year ago

And silly me, I meant to write mums of 'writers'....not foodies!