Junechamp

I suggest contacting Judy Witts Francini. Her website is divinacucina.com. She's lived in Tuscany, teaching cooking and taking folks around the area for more than 25 years now. She's a lot of fun and very knowledgeable.

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

W, we have rented some really great apartments in Florence via vrbo.com. all have had kitchens and if you can find one near St. Ambrogio market, you'll be in heaven w/ the produce and pasta stalls not to mention the best panificio (i think) and some great bakeries. i'll message you my sister's info too- she's lived there for 6 yrs and has real estate agent friends! also might know about cooking classes!

Img_0836-001_(1)
em-i-lis

meant airbnb or homeliday, not vrbo...

I'm so sorry not to have answered your email! It's been a riotous Christmas party season, and I'm finally getting a day off today. We stayed at the Residence San Niccolò, and couldn't have been happier. Its location was perfect - our bedroom window looked out over the Arno, which was incredibly beautiful, and it is a short walk to almost everywhere from it. There are lots of markets in the area, and the kitchen was heavenly to have. We had all the dishware, pots & pans, etc. that we needed, as well as a small fridge. I did a lot of cooking for her and her friends, and enjoyed every minute of making Italian food in Italy. Oh, and there is even a laundry room - free!

http://www.booking.com...

Dsc_0048b

thanks Cynthia, I will check it out. I envision cooking for my son and his friends, too!

Dsc_0048b

Many thanks for all the promising leads!

Bigpan

The food market is very good in Florence. Best to go in the morning.
And, you "must" go for lunch at Trattoria Ponte Vecchio and have pear stuffed sachette in the white truffle cream sauce. If not on the menu, just ask for it.

It is worth the wait while they make it fresh.

We just went there a couple of weeks ago and ate tons of amazing food...I'd suggest buying minichelli's 'Eat Florence' app. It was soooo helpful, has a map, can be accessed without Internet, and covers everything from restaurants to markets, to kitchen stores, coffee, etc. We went with a pretty serious plan of action and by the end just used her suggestions for every meal because they were so spot on. Our favourites? Trattoria Sostanza for the pollo al burro (butter chicken), Nerbone in the market for cheap spicy bollito and lampredotto sandwiches (breakfast or lunch), and Zeb for an amazing meal (truffle covered pasta, eggplant parm, HUGE plate if roasted veggies) in a cool setting (only good for small groups). Happy eating!!

Garden_me
Pamela Sheldon Johns

Pamela Sheldon Johns is the author of numerous cookbooks, the most recent being Cucina Povera: Tuscan Peasant Cooking. She lives at Poggio Etrusco, her organic agriturismo in Tuscany, producing extra-virgin olive oil and teaching about traditional regional Italian food and wine.

Pasta_class Great responses so far. I second the app Eat Florence and classes with Judy Witts. You might also check www.LorenzodeMedici.it for classes. And if you want to get out in the countryside, you can do a class at my farm in Montepulciano! www.Poggio-Etrusco.com
If you don't have a car, we'll pick you up at the Chiusi train station, just an hour south of Florence.

Dsc_0048b

Pamela - thanks for the info. I just ordered your recent book and now finally have gotten back to this question and see your answer here! I'm not sure if our schedule will allow me to do a day trip, but I would love to so as it gets closer I will see if I can make it work.

Stringio

Ciao, have a look at La Pentola delle Meraviglie Cooking School in Florence run by Barbara http://bit.ly/RuHopQ

Stringio

Dsc_0048b

thanks Giuseppina, I will take a look!

Smokin_tokyo

I have copied all these wonderful answers and hope we can use them on our next trip. Thanks to all suggestions, and healthierkitchen for a great thread!